Thursday 7 May 2009

Familiar strangers

I find my commuting a bit exhausting, but I do like some aspects of it. The fact that it is mainly done by train gives me plenty of time to read, and as I said before I enjoy travelling by train. Not only can I read a lot, but the journey to Windsor is visually beautiful, although one gets used to see Windsor Castle every morning. I recently discovered that the faces of some of the commuters going through the same journey have now become familiar to me. It is funny, seeing all those strangers who are now part of my everyday life, if only for a few moments. When one is missing, I almost get worried. I wonder if they noticed me, or if I am still invisible to them.

2 comments:

PJ said...

Ça parait con, mais c'est vrai. En autobus, des fois au retour du travail, quand tu ne vois pas des visages familiers, tu te demandes parfois si tu as pris le bon...

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ha...I am like this too. I will wonder, if I don't see the little old man that is usually walking his dog or the waitress at a favorite restaurant. I wonder where they are, why they aren't there, and whether they have ever noticed me. We are 'observers'!