Friday 17 October 2008

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

I had a thought regarding the work I am going to start on Monday. It is probably the lowest kind of job I took in the last two years, and I am wondering if I am not regressing. I will do it because sometimes one has to take a demeaning job, but I wish things could be different. I thought about that phrase, Sic Transit Gloria Mundi, because a year ago, I was on top of the world: I just had offered a big job with big money, in a sector I had no previous experience, the interview had gone like a charm, etc. I felt like I had been blessed twice. The job I had a year before in Liverpool, while it had been much more modest, was always intellectually rewarding, so I never felt I was overworked and underpaid. Now, I can't help but feel that I ran out of luck.

No comments: