Sunday, 19 July 2026

A promise of autumn

 Yes, I know, I know, we are in the heart of summer and it's still hot. Not exactly the heatwave we've had, not the worst of it anyway, but it's hot during the day. Yet, to keep my sanity and get myself in an autumnal mood, and because I am attuned to seasonal changes, I have started noticing a few small signs of the autumn to come. It's in the morning and evening when we can feel them. During camp night for instance, in the evening. The sun had not even set yet and there was a breeze and a proper chill. We had arrived in the afternoon, it was hot, we had brought no coat or fleece. Well, in our summer clothes, we were a bit cold. Oh, not much, but enough to feel the chill in the air. Right after a hot day. Then some mornings recently have been much cooler than we would expect. The breeze cools things down a lot, and it smells does feel a bit, just a bit but still, autumnal. So I keep saying to myself: we are not there yet, but this is a promise of autumn. Things will get better.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We had yet another spectacular thunder-lightning-rain storm here last night after a hot day.

Mary Kirkland said...

It's hot here too. It won't cool down here until October.