Sunday 17 July 2022

Queen Sono

I know Netflix is in trouble these days, but you can still find interesting stuff on it worth watching. Recently, thanks to its algorythms, I stumbled upon Queen Sono, a South African spy/crime tv series. Just the kind of things I love to watch. I was not expecting much, but I was happily surprised. The series follow a female operative (Queen Sono) who is also the orphan daughter of an anti-Apartheid revolutionary. While at work she fights criminal organisations and terrorist groups, while struggling against the obstacles thrown at her by corrupted elements in the South African government (including the president), she investigates the murder of her mother 25 years earlier. There is also a Russian corporation of mercenaries that is more like a Russian mob who is manipulating events in Africa, an ex-boyfriend of Sono who has turned terrorist and a few other things going on. It is flawed, sometimes soap operaish, often far-fetched, but it has solid production value, nice plotting, great characters and it's great fun. I binged it. Sadly, the second season was cancelled due to Covid. I hope they shoot it soon, because I was just starting to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I can usually always find something good to watch on Netflix too. But they do face stiff competition these days from other streaming services.