Friday 16 September 2011

Friday treats

I had a rough, tiresome week. I don't complain (or I try not to), this is life, so it often sucks, but it becomes necessary to switch off and cool down on a Friday night. It is a question of survival. So tonight I tried to treat myself. Firstly, I stopped for a drink at the local pub. Then I bought some more beer at home (Guardsman from the very young Windsor & Eton Brewery, which makes me like Windsor more). I flavoured the pizza we had with what was left of olives in a jar (I had bought them for a puttanesca). Some cheap pitted green olives, but I love olives, even cheap ones. It doesn't take me much to be happy, or to find comfort food. The downside to the beer/olives mix is that I am now dehydrated and drinking gallons of water. But oh, what a lovely moment I had! My Friday treats change from week to week, usually it involves drinking, eating and reading (I have piles and piles of books). This Friday, it was beer and olives. And now I wonder what is yours.

2 comments:

suzanne said...

I find it is often the simplest things that bring the greatest pleasure. When I want a quiet, relaxing night in with a book or a movie, I make a pan of baked artichoke dip. Finely chopped artichokes blended with grated Parmesan, olive oil, a little mayo, crushed chilies and lots and lots of garlic. Wonderful with rice crackers and white wine.

tao.owl said...

Yum, that sounds delicious. My problem is I forget to rehydrate and wake up with a wicked headache in the morning (rookie mistake). This leads to a big breakfast of eggs and lots of veggies, peppers, onions, sundried tomatoes,and anything else I can find in my fridge.