Saturday 2 December 2023

The Christmas Connection

You probably know my love for The French Connection. What you might not know is that it is one of the movies I like to watch for Christmas. I consider it a Christmas movie, or to be more precise a Christmascrime film. I think I need to hashtag that term and make it a thing on social media. But I digress. The French Connection is a Christmas film because a good portion of it, from the beginning to its middle at least, is set around Christmastime. And main character Popeye Doyle is introduced wearing a Santa Claus costume, which is in itself an excellent reason. It happens in a scene that is both comical and yet genuinely immersive. Doyle comes off not as a joke, but like a driven cop ready to do what it takes to get his man. The chase and the subsequent interrogation scene are a piece of anthology and I am sharing it here for you to appreciate. For some people, Christmas is about Hans Gruber falling from Nakatomi Tower. For me, it's about Popeye Doyle dressed as Santa running after a drug dealer and not caring one bit about what he's wearing.

3 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

when my kids do something stupid i always ask them if they pick their feet in pookipsie.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I saw "The French Connection" when it first came out in the movie theatres. I don't remember the Christmas aspects of it all -- only that incredible car chase which was really ground-breaking in its time.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, thanks for that video clip -- it covers both Joyce's and my comments, LOL!