Tuesday 7 February 2023

A spies' coat of arms

This post is I hope the first of many about police, army and intelligence services around the world. And if you ask me why I am doing this, the answer is simple: just for fun. Anyway, you may know of many intelligence agencies around the world, but maybe not of the Norwegian Intelligence Service, or NIS. I know nothing about them either, except for the very first episode of The Sandbaggers, where they are depicted in a badlight,annoyingly sloppy spies that are borderline amateurs. That said, I wished you could see them in more spy thrillers for one trivial reason: they have a badass coat of arms. You can see on it Odin's ravens Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory) and any intelligence service that takes inspiration from Norse mythology is okay in my book. No matter what this coat of arms has to show up in fiction some day.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Odin's Ravens are perfect symbols for an intelligence service, since Odin used his ravens to keep track of things in the universe.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the guy that just made my new front gates, his business is called..son of odin!

Alison said...

I didn't know any of this! Every time I see a raven now, I'll think Odin is watching. Pop over to the NIS website; clean and minimalist, as you would expect.