Thursday 5 May 2022

My name at work

 We had a meeting today at work (a virtual meeting of course) and one of the seniors asked me: "Guilly, do I pronounce your name right?" I made the mistake, when I started working there a year ago, to give them the name I received during my Krav Maga training, because they could not say Guillaume to save their life. So now I'm Guilly at work too, which I don't hate, but I don't like either. I said: "You can pronounce it the way you want, it's not my name." People thought it was quite witty (the senior laughed anyway). And I tink it deserves to be a new great unknown line.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What is it with Brits that they are utterly incapable of learning how to pronounce a non-English name? They are hopeless at it. And yet, it's not that difficult if you make an effort. Perhaps that's it -- they can't be bothered to make the effort.