Monday 7 December 2020

Christmas Stories (to read, or not to read)

'Tis the season to be reading and I am full on reading Christmas stories these days. Old ones that have never read before, new ones, all sorts, all genres. There is one book, however, which I have been really struggling to work on and which I have left on the back burner for now. It is Christmas Stories by Everyman's Library Pocket Classics. I bought it six years ago I think, mainly for the cover, and I know I was a fool to do so. But I really loved the robin (not sure what the ladybird is doing there though). And it is an anthology of Christmas classics, so I thought I would enjoy some "true", "heavier" literature. But once I started it, I just found it a tad too dense, I don't know. So bacj in 2017 or 2018, I abandoned at the second story, written by Gogol. Maybe I should just go for the stories that seem interesting and abandon the idea of reading it back to back for now.