Monday 26 January 2015

Longing for long train journeys

This picture was taken on the steamed train line between Dartmouth and Paignton. It was not nearly as nice as the other steamed train line we traveled on, because we went through it we barely saw Dartmouth which seemed lovely and Paignton is one of the tackiest, tasteless towns I ever saw in my life, but anyway, it illustrates this post's topic. And it allows me to publish another photo of my holidays.

So yes, as it happens sometimes, I am longing for long train journeys. I commute daily in trains, but a twenty minutes commute to go to work, while pleasant enough as it is quick, is hardly a way to truly appreciate the train as a mean of transport. I want to travel by train and to travel for leisure. I have some holidays coming in the next few months, so I might get my wish. We'll see. What I love with train travels, when they are comfortable, is that the journey in itself is an experience. I don't think any other mean of transport, except maybe the boat, can provide such feeling.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i come from a long line of train people. growing up, i traveled on trains all the time. i miss it so much. there was nothing quite like a long day in the city and falling asleep on the train on your way home. i was 5.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i come from a long line of train people. growing up, i traveled on trains all the time. i miss it so much. there was nothing quite like a long day in the city and falling asleep on the train on your way home. i was 5.