Monday 30 March 2009

Life and ambition

Since I started my new job, I don't have much time to blog. Or I don't take time to blog much, mea culpa. I want to keep this blog alive though, and especially to keep it interesting.

So I am working as an almost teacher, five days a week, full time, and also on Saturday. My life has changed in a few weeks. I am more tired in the evenings (well duh!), but also happier. The British school system is slowly getting more familiar to me. I am getting closer to becoming a full fledged teacher. That has been my most constant ambition for a few years, although I did harvest other ambitions from time to time. Strange creatures, ambitions. When your perception widens through experience, your ambitions either get more modest, or they increase life your vision of the world. As a teenager, I had wanted to become a great writer, then a great opera singer (or at least one that could be on stage for a full night), a great actor, etc. I fulfilled some ambitions already: I studied in a foreign country, I got into direct contact with other cultures, I got a PhD. As I grew older (and wiser?), I kept my teaching ambitions, briefly put on ice when I made the mistake to try the private sector, and I also developed ambitions that are more down to earth (and often more meaningful). Still, what I am accomplishing, I am doing it in a foreign country. I never though I would become an expat, but it was always in the back of my mind, not a wish but a possibility.

No comments: