Wednesday 29 March 2017

Time to visit a castle?

This is one of the many pictures I took of Berry Pomeroy Castle, near Totnes in Devon. The most haunted castle in England, apparently. One of my favourite castles, of all the ones I have visited, and I visited many, being a medievalist. Stuck in the middle of the woods, you cannot get more atmospheric than Berry Pomeroy Castle, ghosts or no ghosts. I don't think for a second it is haunted, I do not believe in ghosts, but I am sure many visitors bring their own ghosts to it. We do not have such castle nearby, but we nevertheless have at least one castle that is not a very long driven distance. Last year, my wife and I were considering going there with the Ticklers, but the pregnancy and the busy time looking for a new home prevented us to do it. So I wonder if now would actually be the right time for an excursion in a castle. It would be a great time out, if nothing else.

No comments: