You may remember that two years ago I thoroughly enjoyed reading A Spy Alone, debut espionage novel of Charles Beaumont. An important portion of the novel is set in England and I already mentioned that I enjoyed reading about places I was familiar with, but within the context of a spy thriller. Well, I was surprised to see that the village of Stokenchurch is featured in the plot. One chapter is even named after it. I have been to Stokenchurch a few times as it's not very far from here. I have not visited it in a while. Anyway, that's what is said about it: "They pull off the M40 at Stokenchurch, a village high in the Chiltern ridge. It's a strangely charmless place: in spite of a village green and a few pubs it feels cold and empty. The sort of place you don't stop at unless you really have to." It's a pretty fair assessment of the place, and when we stopped there, it was indeed because we had to. Nevertheless, if I visit it again, I will look out for spies. Because you never know.
Log Cabin Quilt Top
3 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment