Monday, 10 August 2026

A Ragtag Bunch of Misfits

Anybody in for a bit of trope talk? Here is one I am pretty fond of. You ever heard of a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits? Briefly, it's a team of heroes or protagonists made of heteroclite, mismatched members, some professional, some experts, but some not, with different backgrounds and conflicting personalities. It's often used in sci-fi adventures and in fantasies, I'm sure you can think of a lot of titles that use this trope, but it works for all genres and I particularly enjoy it in crime fiction, sometimes even in spy thrillers. And, I might add, sometimes the best of the genre: the Major Crimes Unit in The Wire is made of a ragtag bunch of misfits. They gather a bunch of cops from various departments, some (real or perceived) humps, some mavericks, into one unit to wrap up a hot potato case, they end up showing to be the best of the best. They're also great in heist stories. This trope makes for great character interaction. I use it in my own writing, because I love it so much.

No comments: