Sunday 5 November 2023

Bonfire Night (and what else in November)

Tonight is Bonfire Night. Not my favourite special day, I quickly get bored with fireworks, which seems to be all it is about, when you think of it. In this country, it is the big event in November, at least the biggest celebration in November. Unfortunately, it is also set early in the month. After that, all we are left with here are the fireworks. But hey, I do like the smell of bonfire if nothing else. That said, there are other fun things to do in November in this country. The English Heritage mentioned its top five. Here we have my wife's birthday in a few days. That should keep us entertained. And you, what are you planning to do this November?

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

For me, November is all about getting ready for Christmas -- shopping primarily.

Deadpan Flook said...

Bonfire night is popular up here in Scotland too, but Halloween is still a bit more loved I reckon. Always find it weird that Halloween has only properly been celebrated the last few decades in the South, with Bonfire Night being bigger, as up here it’s always been pretty much even with a slight swing to the spooky!

Alison said...

Here in the Midlands there doesn't seem to be much on for Guy Fawkes or Bonfire Night for various reasons. My husband remembers it from his growing up days and says it was a real event back then. Personally I love a good fireworks display and bonfire, but more people nowadays seem to feel its just a nuisance. Guess it depends where you are in the country. Another reason I would LOVE to move to Scotland!