Tuesday 20 October 2009

A walk in Cambridge on a crisp Autumn day

Last weekend, my wife and I went to Cambridge to visit her side of the family (her brother, sister-in-law and her lovely niece who is also mine since I got married). We had a great weekend. The in-laws have always been great hosts and we had the occasion to spoil our niece rotten, which is always fun.

I love Cambridge, it is a beautiful English city with history and a lot of character. When we visit them, we never see the city enough, but it is always a pleasure to get a glimpse of it, especially on such a lovely Autumn weekend. Since Saturday, the season, which had been pretty warm so far, has decided to show its true nature: it is now cold and often dry and windy. On Sunday, we walked downtown, then in the afternoon we went walking in a park by the River Cam. With the right clothes, the cold was just bearable enough to enjoy our time out. I love those moments, when I walk on crackling dead leaves, feel the cold air on the cheeks, admire the view. October in England is still green compared to where I come from, but it still displays some nice colours. And as I said, Cambridge has history, which compensates for the lack of colour. Walking by an old church, I was feeling like in a Hammer movie.

1 comment:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Oooh! Very nice...I love that photo of the church and graveyard. I could spend hours in an old graveyard taking photos. You weekend sounds lovely. We had some cool weather here this weekend too, so that was also nice. However, it is supposed to warm back up tomorrow...boo hiss! Thanks for sharing your Autumn walk. :o)