Wednesday 4 February 2009

Reflexion on winter

There might be more snow tomorrow. I am happy, it makes me feel less homesick and it is beautiful. That said, it is slowing down everything here. The Brits simply are not used to winter anymore, they have this grey season that is, well, grey, but they don't know how to deal with the real thing. I guess it is the same thing all around Europe, save Scandinavia. As I said in this post in French, I rediscovered how much me and the people I come from belong to the winter season. Quebeckers might not like winter all the time (I do), but we are familiar with it. We know how to deal with its reality, it has forged our identity. The effects the few centimeters of snow have on life here seem overly dramatic. Even my wife is now unimpressed, since she experienced something much bigger. However, people seem to appreciate more snow, they get more excited about it, they can recognize the beauty of the white coat that covered England, however thin it is. I have never seen so many snowmen, even though they are quite small. Anyway, looking outside the window these days, I have the feeling that, this year at least, I will not have completely missed winter.

1 comment:

Gwen Buchanan said...

I am glad you are getting a taste of home.. we have had so much snow this winter!!!.. my son loves it though...and the cold he loves too as it means skating and playing hockey.. as a matter of fact he prefers the air fresh and cool and would happily give up summer to have winter all year long.. except perhaps for the bicycling in the summer..

Enjoy... and make sure you build a snowman.. or snowfort or something made from snow!!!! unless it is gone now...