Monday 20 July 2009

Mysterious door

This door is in a red brick wall surrounding a park nearby, one of my favourite parks where we live, as it is full of old trees and sort of secluded from the rest of the town, because of the walls surrounding it. It makes the whole place look more like a forest than a park. Somehow, this door makes me think of the door leading to the Old Forest in The Lord of the Rings. The picture was taken by my wife something like a month ago, maybe more, on a weekend day when it was warm but not hot. I love walking in English parks, maybe I will blog about it one day, but now I want to blog about this mysterious door.

Doors don't need much to be mysterious: they just need to be kept shut. As long as you don't know what is on the other side, they can even be threatening. A door, when you don't know what it leads to, is always a door leading to another world. I think I will take a picture of the door in autumn, the perfect season for otherworldly atmosphere. One of my colleagues (one of the few colleagues I have that I really appreciate), an art teacher, showed to a pupil and me some sketches he made of remote churches' doors (among other things), and mentioned that the only interesting door is the closed one. Once open, it looses its mystery. This door so far had kept it all. I have still no idea where it leads, but that could be the great starting point of a story.

7 comments:

Frankofile said...

Doors are all so different, aren't they? Have you seen the 'Doors of Dublin' poster? http://www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/Doors-of-Dublin-Posters_i127879_.htm

PJ said...

Tu sais, notre école primaire, la petite école comme disait tante Henriette, était pleine de portes mystérieuses vers des escaliers et passages étranges. C'était aussi le cas de l'école de musique. Anyway, c'est vrai qu'il y a beaucoup de mystique derrière une porte fermée, c'est aussi le cas pour les petits sentiers qui se perdent dans les arbres et la broussaille, et un peu pour une porte entrouverte dont on ne voit pas vraiment l'autre côté.

Jazz said...

Allez, va l'ouvrir!!! J'veux voir de l'autre côté...

Jazz said...

En passant, tsé quand j'ai dit de m'envoyer un courriel avec les "musts" du plateau pour un autre picture post, j'étais sérieuse - vu que je n'y vis pas, je connais mais sans doute il me manque des coins super...

À moins que tu n'en fasses un pendant que tu seras à Montréal.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Okay...I love this post because I also love doors. I like to photograph doors/doorways...and often the older and more decrepit the better.

The photo your wife took is lovely. As soon as I saw it...a childhood memory came flooding back to me of a story that I had loved as a child. My Mom used to buy me these little books that had cassette tapes to play so you could listen as you flipped along in the book. And my favorite one was called "The Selfish Giant", by Oscar Wilde. And in it, the Giant got angry and built a wall around his beautiful garden so the children couldn't play there, but when he did that, Winter came to his garden to stay. Spring and the other seasons did not return until his heart had thawed and he'd torn down the walls and welcomed the children in once again. Anyway...her photo looked a bit like one of the illustrations from that book, and it all came back. I had forgotten all about that story until tonight! It even took me some searching to remember the name of it. Thank you...I will share it with my children now! :o)

Oh...and it is indeed the mysteries of life that make life so very interesting....closed doors included!

Guillaume said...

Wendy, I actually blogged about The Selfish Giant before, as I know the story very well and I am a big fan of Oscar Wilde. I even put here a cartoon adaptation which was really good.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ha Ha...wow, that's funny! Again, our minds think alike in a strange lil' twist of synchronicity. I am a believer that what we 'need to know' and 'want to know' will find it's way too us through synchronicity. Maybe I wanted to re-connect to that childhood memory that I had forgotten, and you were the one who was meant to help me find it through your blogging! :o)

And if not....well it sounds like a great theory anyway right?! :o)