Wednesday 14 April 2010

Walking on old grounds

Today, my wife and I went to the Vieux-Montréal, maybe her favourite place in the city. We went to the Musée de Pointe-à-Callière see an exhibition on Quebec legends, which I had been dying to see (my wife did not share my enthusiasm, but she enjoys Old Montreal anyway). I might blog about this one day.

When I was walking around the Vieux Montréal, I had in mind those two posts. I always liked the Vieux-Montréal, but I never thought it was as beautiful as, say, the Vieux-Québec, or indeed any old European town. Somehow, there is something lacking. Maybe because I always have the feeling of being in a tourist trap when I go there, I feel like the place is not genuine. Old historical buildings are next to new ones, everything is surrounded by tacky shops and there is always a bit of road that is being repaired. I always feel like the "Vieux" has the potential to be much better than it is. Oh well, at least we did not witness anything sinister.

Back in another life, I used to see Old-Montreal quite often as I was working there. I never felt the weight of history it should have had. Now that I come back as a tourist always in company of a non-Quebecker, I feel it more. I also enjoy myself there more. Sometimes you need distance to appreciate old grounds.

1 comment:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ha...well from another non-Quebec tourist, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it since it's as close as I have yet come to Europe. But I am not well traveled, so of course I'm not a good judge. Personally, I pretty much get great excitement out of seeing anything and everything for the first time....good or bad! But since you've lived there...I'm sure you see it through far more discernible lenses than I do. :o) It was lovely in the fall....rain and all! Which I could have spend more time there and enjoyed the food!