Thursday 8 April 2010

Observations on a homecoming

I have been home for a few days now, the first April month where I have been in Chicoutimi in ages. A few random observations about the place:

-I forgot how ugly it was during springtime. The streets are covered with sand and dust, which makes it look like some kind of Northern Arizona or Texas. Walking around the remnants of dirty snow, I almost forget it can be beautiful sometimes. The poor look the city has right now explains the absence of pictures on this blog recently.
-I feel almost no nostalgia about the place, except when I am around the cégep. It didn't change all that much since my time there, maybe the happiest, most carefree moments of my first twenty years of existence.
-Things got better for vegetarians: for instance Café Cambio on the rue Racine has an interesting choice of vegetarian meals. My wife and I like it quite a lot, not only because its menue but also its atmosphere. It has a nice choice of beers too.
-Chicoutimi didn't change all that much, but I can't help but feel like an outsider. I don't know why.

No comments: