If you are looking for horror to read during
Summerween, something to get you ready until the real spooky season officially starts, I have a suggestion for you:
Sisters by
Daisy Johnson. This is what I'm reading at the moment. It's very much psychological horror, there is no monster or maniac lurking in the dark, unless you count the demons in the minds of the protagonists. Before writing this post, I learned that it's been adapted into a film titled
September Says in 2024, so pretty recently. I will try to find it online. The plot is about two sisters, July and September, born ten months apart, who are living in a remote family home with their single mother after an incident of school bullying. I don't want to give anything away, but said bullying is so far the most chilling part of the novel. You can tell why it's a perfect read for now, with the names of the protagonists. Halloween is also featured briefly. Otherwise, it's very much in the line of
Shirley Jackson, a slow burn, slow built horror thriller that relies on unease, atmosphere and corner-of-eye occurrences to create terror.
No comments:
Post a Comment