Monday, 17 August 2026

Murphy (Board Game)

There are times during childhood when you think, you hope, you will have lots of fun with a game or an activity, maybe even create fond memories, but you end up disappointed. It happened to me with a board game. I loved board games as a child, especially those that had dramatic elements. We used to play with the board game, my brothers and I, then develop it into make belief games. And I had read a short but positive review about a board game named Murphy, so I convinced my parents to buy it. It was about a private detective agency in charge of finding heirs of a fortune in Asia. The box cover looked quite appealing, with old fashioned pulp crime fiction tropes and a dash of exoticism. The board itself looked really nice too, basically a map of Asia. Well, I never was so disappointed in a board game. We could not make head or tail of the rules and we abandoned after a few attempts. I genuinely thought it was going to be a mix of Sam Spade or Philip Marlowe meets Indiana Jones. But hey, really nice cover. Anyway, did anyone among you managed to play it? And enjoy it? I'm curious.

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried Murphy before but I got the haunted house board game a few years ago which I was really excited about. There was so much to read that I simply lost interest in wanted to play the game... I do feel bad about it though. ~Nessa

    ReplyDelete