Wednesday 21 February 2018

The 39 Steps

You were wondering maybe what I bought with my five pounds voucher from the local bookshop. Or maybe you couldn't care less, but I will tell you anyway: three books, among them The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan. I read Buchan before and, while I was not overly impressed and found him a bit dated, I enjoyed it enough so decided to give his work another go. Also, I was always curious about this novel of his in particular. It had numerous adaptations, direct or indirect, including this one, which I saw, one by Alfred Hitchcock which I did not see, and I know it was an indirect inspiration for North By Northwest, which I love. In any case, I enjoy adventure novels and spy thrillers so should at least get some fun from this book.

2 comments:

Rain said...

We are big Hitchcock fans in this house! I love the Thirty-Nine Steps version he did! Never read the book though.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And hey, he was Governor-General of Canada from 1935-1940 too.