Saturday 17 February 2018

Creepy Punch & Judy

I blogged before about Punch and Judy, the British puppet show. I took this picture at the York Castle Museum. It was not the first time I could see good old and old-fashioned puppets, but I don't think I had ever seen one so old as them before. And something struck me: Punch and Judy puppets are really creepy, with their deformed features, polished skin and big heads. I mean really, really, really creepy. I don't find them funny at all and I doubt children do either, nowadays.These ones might have been the cause of many nightmares. What do you think?

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, they're creepy and they celebrate domestic abuse. Punch is always beating up Judy and the baby with a stick. Well, at least traditionally. I assume they've cleaned up that aspect these days.

Teddy de Haan said...

I'm so glad I'm not the one who finds Punch and Judy weird and scary, actually not at all suited to small children' entertainment. I never understood the attraction of these ugly, misformed puppets. As to what they do, beating each other over the head and screeching
, how on earth could you see that as a children' delight?