Monday 28 November 2016

Deon Meyer and me

I mentioned the crime novel Icarus by Deon Meyer recently and I intend to write more about it in the upcoming weeks. I have started reading it and I wanted to share a trivial details that I found quite funny. One of his characters is named Francois Du Toit (his name should be written François with a cedilla, but nevermind, I guess he could not type it with his keyboard). He is a wine farmer and has a six months old son named... Guillaume. Reading this today, it made my day. I wonder why  he chose that name. It is fairly common in the French speaking world and I understand Deon Meyer is francophile. Now in recent years I have occasionally been in contact with Mr Meyer via social medias, so my wife suggested that he may have been subconsciously influenced by me... Or it is a complete coincidence. All the same, I thought it was quite funny. Especially since I am also the father of a young child. I wonder what's in store for my namesake.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

If it's not deliberate, then it's a fascinating coincidence that the baby is named Guillaume!