Friday 15 January 2016

Ray Charles sings... Eleanor Rigby

I have not uploaded on this blog a song from the Beatles since March 2012. Of all the great British bands, you can tell I don't consider them the greatest, even though they are the most famous. I lived a year in Liverpool, where I didn't listen to their music much. I mean I like the Beatles all right, but I don't love them. And since I lived a year in Liverpool, I know how heavy their heritage has been on the city: do anyone remember that the city existed before the Fab Four and that it has a life of its own? All the same, I enjoy some of their songs sometimes. What I find far more shameful is that I did not upload Ray Charles singing since May 2012. And Ray Charles is one artist I love far more. So I decided to kill two birds with one stone and upload Eleonor Rigby, covered by Ray Charles. And, I might add, done far better by him than by the original Scousers. Ray Charles brings pathos and power in the words, as if he witnessed the account of the song. So here it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this version!!!!