Sunday 20 December 2015

The Mistletoe Bough

 As 'tis the season to be reading, I have a new read to suggest you. It is a recent discovery for me: I found it yesterday in A Literary Christmas. It is a poem/song by Thomas Haynes Bayly, music by Henry Bishop, based on the Legend of the Mistletoe Bough. I blogged yesterday about the dark side of Christmas. Well, Yuletide cannot get any darker than this. It is more a horror tale than anything else. You can read the poem/song here. I have also put a performance of the song below. In the story, there is no spirit, no ghost, no devil, not even an evil man, only tragic irony. And there is also the presence of the mistletoe bough, which, like in the old lore (see here), is an omen of tragedy.

2 comments:

PJ said...

Tu t'es trompé de vidéo....

Guillaume said...

Ben non je me suis pas trompé.