Sunday 14 September 2014

The dress code for the evening

I mentioned recently on this blog that I am going to see Don Giovanni on the stage. It is tonight. I am looking forward to it, except one small detail: the dress code. Because there is a dress code. I love to wear whatever I want to wear for the weekend, or indeed any day. And for men, it is written that they ask for jackets and ties, stressing "please no jeans!" I could understand the no jeans, even though I already paid good money to see the performance, but jacket and tie? I wear them at weddings, funerals and job interviews. For Mozart, I thought the music would be elegant enough. I guess I am not used to posh evenings, but for me opera is not about the dress code, it is about the story and the music. And that kind of irks me a bit.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Whenever I go to the opera, there's everything in the crowd from the most elegant black tie and ball gowns right down to biker chic. I always wear jeans, although with a nicer top than just a crazy t-shirt. Hey, puttin' on the dog! Nobody gets bent out of shape here or tries to impose a "dress code" on the audience. The opera company is just so grateful to have sold the tickets! Those expensive, expensive tickets.