Thursday 18 July 2013

The British Savanna?

As I mentioned not so long ago, the great British summer is here. It has been here for a good while now, it has also been very intense. By this I mean that it has been hot, sunny and I cannot even remember the last time it rained. There is a heatwave since at least a week and not a single drop of rain. I have been waiting and hoping for a storm. There has been none so far either. When I walked on the grass today, it struck me: it is yellow and dry, crisp. I had the surreal feeling of walking in a savanna. I had been missing a real summer, the 2011 and 2012 summers were not really ones, more like overlong springtime mixed with an early autumn. But now, the drought is getting to me, more than the heat itself. This country needs a bit of rain to cool itself down a few notches.

No comments: