Thursday 4 July 2013

The Body of an American

It is the 4th of July, Independence Day. And I barely noticed. I guess in the country the US declared their independence from, it should go pretty much unnoticed. It struck me today that, while I grew to lvoe American culture through its literature and TV, I have never been to the United States. Strange. And I thought, to commemorate it, that I should upload a song... But it would be pointless of uploading a patriotic song of a country I don't belong to. So I came up with, yet again, The Body of an American by The Pogues, even though I uploaded it before. I first heard it, of course, on The Wire, the greatest American drama, heck, the best drama, bare none. It might be more about Ireland than America, but there is something about the American dream in the song, and I find the "I'm a free born man of the USA" very powerful. So here it is.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Don't kid yourself that the 4th of July goes unnoticed in the UK. Somewhere there's got to be a Brit or two licking their wounds about losing the 13 colonies, LOL!

Guillaume said...

Sometimes I thought the Brits did better by losing the US, when Bush was in power especially, now I think differently.