Wednesday 3 July 2013

Barrett's Privateers

Kevin Burton Smith, from the Thrilling Detective website, made me discover this folk song, by Canadian singer Stan Rogers. Shame on Philistine, crass me, I knew nothing about the man or his work, now I discover an extraordinary baritone voice (I have a sort of solidarity for baritones, being one myself) who died tragically. I was blown away by the song and been listening to it in loops since yesterday. As I have been blogging and intend to blog more about piracy, I thought this was the perfect song to upload here on Vraie Fiction. Little anecdotal stuff: in the song Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia is mentioned. I have never been there, but I have ancestors from my mother's side who are from there and one who actually was a seaman. I also also (and however) spent a fair deal of time in Sherbrooke, in the Eastern Townships in Québec. And my brother PJ is going to be in Sherbrooke soon. Interesting coincidence. I hope you enjoy the song as much as I do.

3 comments:

PJ said...

Je suis allé à Wolfville en Nouvelle-Écosse, et je dois dire que le coin rappelle justement un mélange de la Gaspésie et des Cantons-de-l'Est.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love this song too -- it's genius, pure genius! I encourage you to get to know more of Stan Rogers' musical legacy -- you won't be sorry. He wrote so many amazing songs. I believe this year is the 30th anniversary of his untimely death in that plane crash.

Guillaume said...

@PJ-Faut que j'aille en Nouvelle-Écosse et que je revisite les Cantons de l'Est.
@Debra-It is! And this post actually missed it by one day! What an amazing coincidence.