Thursday 11 July 2013

A gentleman? Me?

Today, on my journey in the train back to work, there were a group of children in my coach, from a summer camp or whatever, even though school is not over yet in this country, with their monitors or whatever you call the adults taking care of them. They were very noisy (the children), but not in an annoying way, even though they did make reading difficult. They accompanied until the final stop, the station of my town of residence. As they were about to leave, the adults asked them to "let the gentleman go first". I found it very funny. Me, a gentleman. I know it was used in the colloquial sense, to be polite and to show politeness to the children, but still. I don't think this fits me well. Gentleman has something from the aristocracy I have never belonged to. I am middle class and my parents were from working class backgrounds. I actually don't want to be a gentleman.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

In the immortal words of Robbie Burns -- "a man's a man for all that!"

Mantan Calaveras said...

I'm a scoundrel.

People usually say, "Let that scoundrel off first, lest he lift your purse." or, "Say, don't let that scoundrel hang around the cemetery gates near sundown. He's an unapologetic resurrectionist you know."

But it's all lies of course. I just snatch the bodies, I don't re-invigorate 'em.

Guillaume said...

@Debra-This is a good line.
@Mantra-Scoundrel, now I'd love to be called that!