Tuesday 7 May 2013

R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen

My brother PJ gave me the news via Facebook, the great Ray Harryhausen died today. It is a bit late, so I will be brief: I LOVE Ray Harryhausen movies, especially Clash of the Titans which made me discover him. Harryhausen was a true artist, as he was a creator, a craftsman. His creatures got me into Greek mythology. I once uploaded on Vraie Fiction a short movie of him, you can find it here. But there are so many movies he worked on to enjoy, some I have only discovered recently, some I will in the near future. I am uploading a video taken from a documentary when he explains how he made some of his creations. It gives an idea of his gift.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The man was a legend. RIP.

The Gill-Man said...

Like you, I discovered his work through Clash of the Titans when I was a kid (which also led to me devouring every book on Greek Mythology I could get my hands on). The great thing is, his work lives on...I showed my son the original CotT a few years ago, and he loved it. When the remake came out, he declared it to be "lame" compared to the original. Couldn't agree with him more, but it's good to see that he saw through all the fancy CGI images and could tell that the remake lacked the sheer imagination and scope of the original.

Guillaume said...

@Debra-He was a legend, a bit of a modern Hephaistos, come to think of it.
@The Gill-Man-I didn't even bother watching the remake. Clash of the Titans is such a great movie, for the monsters alone, and it understands the morally ambiguous nature of the Greek gods.