Wednesday 1 May 2013

Gremlins

Recently, I had a run of bad luck with my technological devices: my cell phone (or mobile as they say here in the UK) and my iPod mainly. The iPod would log off at any moment, whichever app I am using, but that's ok, I seldom use the iPod. The problems with the mobile are more of a pain: some apps ceased to function properly and wouldn't download again. I wasted ages calling a Support line with an employee who could not understand my accent. And she was from England, not India or Bangladesh! I said "safe mode", she heard "safe mould". It was painful. I think she was plain thick. I don't know how I managed to stay polite. She barely was. Anyway, in the end, she could not help me. So I am stuck with my technical woes. Since I do not live in the Bermuda Triangle and never been any near it, I have started blaming gremlins. I know they were supposed to sabotage aircrafts, originally that is, but I'm sure they now are tempted by computers, phones and other pieces of modernity. Or do I trust technology too much and cannot accept its fallibility, or my own weakness as a human being? Surely, I cannot mishandle it like that! It must be gremlins.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Ça s'appelle l'obsolescence programmée.