Tuesday 1 November 2011

Halloween post-mortem

Today is All Saints' Day. I got the Halloween blues, like last year, like every year. As I mentioned in French here, I don't like All Saints' Day, I think it is an austere commemoration meant to compete with the Pagan excesses of the night before. It failed miserably, and am I glad about it. But oh what a difference a day makes. Today looks exactly the same as yesterday: warm yet not so much, the colours are the same, the light is the same. Yet the smell of pumpkin is now slightly out of place, the Jack O'Lantern looks old and weary (where does he go after Halloween?), the decorations will have to be placed back in the cupboard... The sweets that children got when they went trick-or-treating will last for a while, but they are already leftovers.

For this blog, the passing of Halloween means a change of topics. I will have to bore my readership with something else. A change of topic and of colours: no more pictures of pumpkins, Jack O'Lanterns and so on for a while. A change of topic is good anyway, it allows this blog to renew itself. But in the meantime, I will keep an eye on the Halloween to come. Because as many of my readers, I am Halloween obsessed, so I will be on the lookout for horror movies, ghost stories, maybe the odd decoration here and there. It's a long way to go, but one has to learn to enjoy the journey.

3 comments:

PJ said...

Les films d'horreurs et les histoires de fantômes sont justement des trucs pour la saison morte. Et il est encore trop tôt pour se mettre en mode Noël.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Here here....post Halloween blues over here too! Boo Hiss! I miss my whole season already. And I'm always so worn out from Halloween that I really don't look forward to the stressful chaos the Christmas season brings...ugh!

Anonymous said...

Where do the pumpkins go?? I hope that you cheer up soon as the Christmas season approaches rapidly, and tis the season to be jolly(again) fa la la la