Wednesday 16 February 2011

The cat of Downing Street

This is the kind of news that give me a cheap excuse to put a picture of a cat (took it during our last trip in Brittany). I am a cat lover as my readership knows. I have also an irrational fear of rats. So when I learned that Downing Street had a new feline tenant to hunt down the rats (or so the rumour says), I was enthusiastic. It is not out of pure spite for rats, as I know I should not be so afraid of them (blame it on this movie). I think it is an eco-friendly way to tackle a real problem. Having a hunter doing what is in his nature to do is the best to deal with pest. And what hunters cats are! This is something I find amazing about them: how can such a beautiful creature, such cuddly one as well (when they want!), can be such a ruthless killer? People might find it cruel, but I think that it is better and more humane than poisoning the rodents. And you can stroke a cat before and after the kill, something you cannot do with cyanid. So I think we should all welcome Larry the cat. I like David Cameron a little bit better now. A little bit...

4 comments:

PJ said...

Tu devrais pas ne pas aimer les rats, c'était (et ce sont encore j'imagine) les animaux "totem" de ta soeur Janna. Mais on ne peut pas te blâmer pour aimer les chats. Ce sont des créatures fascinantes. Si j'en avait un, j'essaierais de l'entraîner à chasser les écureuils, mais je pense qu'il préfèrerait les oiseaux et les souris sur mon terrain à la place. Un hibou ferait peut-être mieux...

WORD VERIFICATION: pecterie

Anonymous said...

I dont' think that the Downing Street cat is going to be catching too many mice. It look far too well fed :-) Cats do indeed consider themselves superior life forms. A cat isnt owned, it owns you. I have seen that with every cat we have owned. But what a wonderful creature, and when it begins to purr, and blink it's eyes at me I melt. This is their evil plan of course, to wrap us around their little paws, and it works each time...

suzanne said...

I wish Larry well in his endeavors. And cats are always welcome in blog posts. No cheap excuses required.

The Gill-Man said...

I agree. Having a cat doing what is his nature just makes sense. Hopefully, folks won't overfeed him and make him not want to hunt.

I personally love it whenever my cat kills some pest in our house. Oh sure, it kinda sucks when he proudly deposits the remains at my feet, but it's a good trade off. I'd rather have a dead vermin at my feet than a live one living in my pantry!