Thursday 3 July 2008

English sun

There is something in English Summers that I couldn't experience in Québec: the days are long. It is 8:36 and the sun is still high in the sky. It will be like this until 10:00ish. I didn't appreciate it as much last year as the weather was awful and always dark and rainy. These days, it isn't as hot as 2006, but it is hot enough, and it is always sunny. If it wasn't from our hay fever(s), my wife and I would be taking an evening walk right now. I walked quite a lot today as it was so nice outside. I think I will spend tomorrow evening drinking some dry cider or beer, watching the sun going down. The downside to the very long daytime is that it's difficult to sleep long hours: it is never dark enough and it quickly gets light in the morning.

Here is a little random observation not worthy of a blog entry (or worthy of one but I haven't thought about it enough): countries (and regions in them) have different smells. It might be the influence of the sun/rain on the ground, the particular vegetation, but a country has a specific smell. Check it next time you travel. Anyway, Summertime here does not look the same, it does not smell the same either.

No comments: